The Laid Back Guide to the Essence of Living

Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Simple Guide to Dieting

I’ve always wanted to get down to the basics in my life.  I know it doesn’t have to be complicated.  I’m a simple kind of man.  So, as things go, in conjunction with resolutions to be a better kind of man, comes being a healthier and thinner man.  (Less of me is simpler, right?) 

I didn’t become a large man by using my resolve to deny food in the past.  I need structure to do it.  I will strive to be more active, but will power alone, I have to accept, will not always achieve the desired results. 

Fad plans and structure programs are fine but they can be to complex.  Eat this, not that lists, Atkins, South Beach… it’s all too complicated to try and keep up with. 

The problem with them is that they don’t account for reality.  For instance, tell a 5 year old little girl, who is holding out a piece of birthday cake, you can’t eat it because it has too many Weight Watcher points and you’ll have to skip dinner tonight if you eat it. 

I’ve had great amounts of weight loss in my past, and I owe it all to a strategy that’s not too complex.  Watching what I put in my mouth and journaling it.

I’ve had a lot of success at counting calories because no matter which philosophy you follow be it carbs, sugars, or points counting.  My doctor gave it to me straight.  It’s about calories in calories out. 

Weight loss is about expending more calories than you take in.   It is that simple.

So I have help using MyFitnessPal because I can log on and journal my food which keeps track of my calories consumed and burned.  They offer an app for my iPhone so that I can be anywhere and just add it to my diary. They give me an option to check in on my weight so I can chart my progress.  It’s very helpful.

Weight loss doesn’t have to be some new fad plan.  If you start to count calories and be conscientious about what you eat you’ll be surprised at your own behavior, but you’ll also be surprised about how much weight you’ll lose. 

It’s as easy as watching what you eat and being consistent.  Truly the least complex way to diet and exercise is to just journal it. 

As a part of my dieting I will let you know how this continues to go for me.  This week I weighed in at 285 pounds.  I’ll make regular posts concerning weight loss and my progress so stay tuned.   

No comments:

Post a Comment